Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Yes, swimming can be boring

I know I am supposed to be all 'rah rah!' about swimming here. And usually I really do feel that way... energized with that 'good tired' feeling, feeling the fire of competition and striving for more more more! But today... well I can see why triathletes and non-swimmers find swimming so boring. I showed up to lap swim today. It was me, two elderly men and my neighbor Sarah who just happened to show up. I had the lane all to myself, so no reason to complain there. I even had my new money suit on, so that should have been reason enough to feel good. But god, swimming alone without my teammates was so just so....well BORING. I warmed up for as long as I could possibly stand. 9 minutes. (great.) Then I kicked on my back butterfly for as long as I could. 14 minutes. (better.) But then I just headed for the hot tub. Defeated. I need vacation to be over and I need my team back!!!

So for all you triathletes and non-Masters swimmers out there, the moral of this lame post is JOIN A TEAM!

6 comments:

x said...

I enjoy workouts with my team more than alone also... but when I need to get in the pool alone I bring my otter case which hold my ipod and I jam to tunes the whole time. Speedo has a new lil 2gig one that fits on your goggles strap I am now keen on. Consider bringing music next time.

Unknown said...

Boring? No! Say it ain't so?

Sometimes I enjoy the luxury of being in a lane by myself. But an unusual thing often happens at my local pool. "Regulars" join in and swim sets together.

GetBackJoJo said...

haha! You are spoiled! You know I do 100% all by my lonesome!
Bringing a workout helps...

Ange said...

I'm with Mary. Sorry. I'm 100% alone too. At times, I'm the only one in the pool. I kid you not. My workout in a baggie, pull buoy and kickboard, water bottle...and that's that. You're definately lucky you usually have a team! :)

Ange said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MaineSport said...

I completely agree. Gotta be done with a good group.