Friday, July 16, 2010

Feed the need

Tomorrow is a big training swim. See it started out with just trying to get together a few folks to swim to a local island for fun and as a practice run for the Peaks race next weekend. It has blossomed to over 20 swimmers of all speeds. I'm very excited. The water temperature is exceptionally warm for this time of year 63-68 degrees -- which for Maine is downright balmy.

It's been a relaxing week of vacation, fun swims and yes some surfing. I had no idea how fun surfing is. I'm definitely hooked. As I was out waiting to "catch a wave" I realized how much I love to be in the ocean. I love the feel of it on my feet as they hang off the board or as I float on my back in my wetsuit. I love swimming through the patches of seaweed. I love the adrenaline rush of seeing a fish swim beneath me or a school of small silvers jump out of the water in the sparkling sunshine. I love finding seaglass. I love the smell of seaweed and low tide. In general it's just a very very good time of year for me!

Last weekend was the Norway Triathlon -- a fun chance to try my hand at triathlon without really training -- ha ha! Indeed it was refreshing to try something new. The water was too warm for wetsuits which made it more exciting than the typical swim. That and the fact that I was swimming with Ange, a very tough competitor and dear friend, who definitely had her game face on that morning! We ended up 1-2 for women in the swim with her enjoying the limelight and running out first. Go Ange!

[break for fireworks going off in front of lighthouse with surf crashing and fog horn blowing-god I love living in Maine]

The bike was relaxing. I know I know its not supposed to be relaxing but I let it be. My chain did fall off at the half-way point but I managed to quickly get it on. Luckily I was off the bike just in time - it started to pour - pour as in torrential downpour followed by showers followed by torrential downpour. Exciting finish. Judging by the number of women in my age group who passed me in the last half mile, I could place a lot better if I just upped my game in the bike or run.

Final stats:
Swim 11.3 (3) Bike 50:34.8(101) Run 32:02.1(100) Final 1:33:48

22/68 women overall
6/14 women 40-44
3/137 swim
101/137 bike
100/137 run
72/137 OA

thus proving the point that swimmers don't always make the best triathletes --ha ha! -- and also that sometimes its just fun because it is fun.

No comments: