Monday, February 9, 2009

Cape Sprint Meet Report



Richards Community Pool, Cape Eilzabeth

It was great to be on home turf. There was a huge turn out and lots of very fast people which was inspiring. It was also wonderful to see so many from my own Masters team who swam in there first swim meet ever. Way to go guys!! The best was swimming with Ange and Mary again. If they hadn't gotten obsessed with triathlons I probably wouldn't be swimming again. That's what friends are for. Love you guys! This meet brought back so many memories.


Me, Mary and Ange post-meet. Yes I think it is time for me to get a new suit!

During warm-up I pulled a muscle in my back -- really I think I slept on it funny and having been sick with strep for a week my muscles were a little screwy from missing several practices. Given all that I was happy with my times....

100 fly 1:07.57 (PR and Maine Masters 35-39 women's record I think)
50 fly 29.60 (.5 off PR)
50 back 33.7
50 breast 40.1
100 IM 1:13

I purposely didn't swim the 50 and 100 free on account of being sick. I consider myself first and foremost a freestyle sprinter so I'd like to be in better condition for these. The 50 breast, 50 back and 100 IM were just for fun events. I haven't swum these in 20 years or more so I had no idea how I'd fare. And hey there were fun!

From our team, Deb blew away some Maine Master's records with her 50 breast and 100 breast -- 34 and 1:17 respectively! Awesome job!! Matt did a great time in the 50 free - 26.4 and Jim beat Kerry in the 50 breast by a few hundredths of a second. That was a fun race to watch!

Looking forward to the NE SCY Championships in March I'd really like to get my 100 fly closer to my HS time of 1:05. I just need to build up my endurance and strength.

A big thanks to Coach Kerry for organizing the meet and also to all those swimmers who traveled from near and far to make this meet a real event!
And also thanks to Mike MacDonald of Team Nor'easter for some great pictures.










Ange and I on the blocks before the 100 fly.... major HS memories!!


Me in the 50 back


Me in the 100 fly


Deb and I (not looking our best)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Especially considering how sick you'd been before this meet, you did an AWESOME job! And you clearly had a lot of fun, too!

Well done.

maria conley said...

Awesome job Alina. Great pictures. Las 3 amigas rock.

Ange said...

Cool!!!!!!! I didn't know that was a record! congrats! That was so fun!

Pedergraham said...

Nice butterfly (with a pulled muscle) after all those cootie strep germs. That pool looks really nice with all of the sunshine!

GetBackJoJo said...

You are a goddess. And BFF.

BreeWee said...

You are such a swim stud! Honestly I should read your blog more because it is the EXACT swim motivation I need. I was looking at your swim totals for every day and it made me feel like swimming!

Looking forward to following your swimming this season! Cheering for ya!

Bree