Saturday, August 30, 2008

Alcatraz here we come!



It's official... I am signed up for Alcatraz! Kathy signed up this week too. Wow, this is going to be an exciting trip. 800 swimmers, 1.5 miles, twisting currents, and jumping off a ferry for the start. I guess I'll be glad to just finish. A bunch of people I talked to at Rockland has also done Alcatraz so that got me more fired up to try it.

I really took it easy this week with swimming and did only 1 mile up in the lake. It was gorgeous. The water was 72 and not a soul was on the lake, well except for that loon....I actually had a loon chase me in the middle of the lake. He was hooting and cooing and chasing me and then went under water. Boy that made me swim faster. I later surmised that he (or she) must have been warning me to stay away from his/her brood of baby loons. Still freaked me out... they are BIG birds!

I can't express how SAD I am for this wonderful summer of swimming, beach days and freedom to be over! I am not ready to go back to work. And to top it off the first week of school is supposed to be 80 degrees and sunny everyday.... I will have to sneak some ocean swims in somehow.

4 comments:

IronMatron said...

oops. Yeah for Alcatraz!!!

Ange said...

yeah!!!!!! Congrats Alina. I'm so excited for you guys to do this!!

Nitsirk said...

That is too cool!! Someday I would love to do the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon. You are going to have a great experience!

mconley342 said...

You are a tough cookie. Wow Alcatraz that's just crazy. But the crazier the challenge the better it is.