Saturday, July 5, 2008

57 degrees -- Ouch!

I have been feeling less motivated the last few days to do my ocean swims. I think the "thrill" of an ocean swim has worn off a bit, at least the last 10 days or so since I have been mostly swimming alone. I definitely swim faster and feel more excitement swimming with others. I think I need to try some new swim locations too. I train much more intensely in the winter with a coach standing on the deck yelling and threatening me (sorry coach!), but it's true. It's not that I am lazy, I just thrive on the competition and having a "reason" to work my tail off. I will work hard, very hard, under those conditions. But lately it has been just me against the ocean. Admittedly, as much as I am a life long swimmer, that can get a little boring sometimes (did I really just say that?).

I have honestly considered triathloning as I have dear friends who feel they have found their "thing" through tri's, but as convenient as running is, it hurts my neck (old whiplash injury). I love biking, but moutain biking, the easy leisurely kind where you go just as fast and hard as you feel like... not the racing kind on a super expensive bike that you don't dare leave unattended in front of a corner store as you make a spur of the moment pit stop for a popsicle. Anywho... I digress.

Today I managed about 1.9 miles in 43 minutes, which is all well and good, but I didn't feel so hot. My arms felt a little sluggish. And the water was COLD again. The NOAA buoy read 57 degrees which is on par with where it was mid-June. Not sure why. This is possibly how cold it will be for Peaks so I should get mentally prepared.

No comments: